Canadian Daily Language Activities Grade 2
- Author : SUMMERS, ELEANOR
This book is divided into 32 weekly sections.
Short and quick opportunities for students to review and reinforce skills in punctuation, grammar, spelling, language, and reading comprehension.
The Bonus Activities that follow each week of skills are fun tasks such as word and vocabulary puzzles, figurative language, and reading exercises.
A short interesting fact about Canada is the finishing touch!
Each weekly section provides daily skill review and assessment activities.
Activities 1 - 4 focus on:
- punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and spelling
- language and reading comprehension skills
Activity 5 focus on:
- a single language or reading skill
Bonus Activity: provides opportunities for extended activities
- word puzzles, vocabulary development
- reading skills
- includes a short, interesting fact about Canada
Student Progress Chart
Students may require a modelled example or individual assistance to complete their Progress Chart.
- Students record their daily scores for each Language Activity.
- At the end of the week, they calculate their Total Score
- At the end of four weeks, students evaluate their performance.
120 pages with an answer key.
This book provides many opportunities for practice of the following skills:
Vocabulary and Word Skills
- word meaning from context
- root words
- vowel sounds/consonant sounds
- compound words
- word families
- beginning of sentences
- proper names/titles of people
- names of places
- titles of books, songs, poems
- names of days, months, holidays
- punctuation at the end of a sentence
- commas in a series
- commas in dates and addresses
- periods in abbreviations
- quotation marks in speech
- apostrophes in contractions
- apostrophes in possessives
- punctuation in a friendly letter
- run-on sentences
Grammar and Word Usage Parts of Speech:
- nouns, pronouns
- common/proper nouns
- singular/plural nouns
- possessive nouns
- verb forms
- double negatives
- correct article/determiner
- subject-verb agreement
- identifying sentences: sentence vs not a sentence
- sentence types
- cause and effect
- fact or opinion
- real or make-believe
- figurative language
- alphabetical order
- dictionary skills