Pioneers, Canada Flag & Missing Home Social Studies Reading Grades 3-4 Google Slide
This collection of 3 fiction and non-fiction reading lessons are tailored to integrate language-based social studies content into their literacy time. It is also an excellent resource for split-grade teachers who would like some independent subject material for their students! The social studies focus and literacy skills used in each activity are listed at the bottom of the worksheet.
1. Pioneer Settlement: Students will read about the early settlers coming to Canada from several locations. Students will learn the answer to Why Move? Where Do I Live?, What Do I Do?
- Literacy Skill: Reading for Detail
2. Living Like the Pioneers: This fiction reading lesson is tailored to integrate language-based social studies content into their literacy time. Dana and her family spent a weekend living like pioneers.
- Literacy Skills: Sequencing, Compare & Contrast
3. The Canadian Flag - A Timeline: Students will follow the Canadian flag from 1964 to flag day on Feb 15, 1996.
- Literacy Skills: Sequencing & Reading a Chart
The links in the PDF direct you to the google slide lesson. There are two links, one for editable slides and one for digital-ready slides. This gives you the flexibility to edit the student worksheets to meet their needs! The PDF includes the worksheets giving you the option for in-class instruction or distance learning.