Alberta Grade 5 Science Curriculum
- Author : Bellaire, T. & Gilchrist, A.
The lessons and experiments in this book fall under 5 main topics that relate to the Alberta curriculum for Grade 5 Science.
In each lesson, you will find teacher notes designed to provide you guidance with the learning intentions, the success criteria, materials needed, a lesson outline, as well as provide some insight on what results to expect when the experiments are conducted.
Suggestions for differentiation or accommodation are also included so that all students can be successful in the learning environment.
Topic A: Electricity and Magnetism
- What is Electricity?
- Investigating Electricity
- How Does Electricity Travel?
- Electricity in the Home
Topic B: Mechanisms Using Electricity
- How Do We Use Electricity?
- Lights in Electrical Circuits
- Building with Electricity - Motors, Cars, Alarm Systems
Topic C: Classroom Chemistry
- States of Matter
- Properties of Water, Mixtures and Solutions, Growing Crystals
- Carbon Dioxide
- The Acid / Base Test
Topic D: Weather Watch
- Weather Patterns
- Precipitation, Clouds, and the Water Cycle
- Measuring Precipitation, Measuring Temperature, and Reading the Weather
- The Energy of the Sun
- Dressing for the Weather
Topic E: Wetland Ecosystems
- Types of Wetlands
- Adaptations and Life Cycles in the Wetlands
- Roles, Food Chains, and Food Webs in the Wetlands
- Human Beings and the Wetlands Ecosystem
The lessons are designed to involve tactile participation and knowledge application while providing opportunities to connect ideas between topics and school subjects.
178 pages including an answer key.