Cartoon Story Starters Grades 4-6
- Author : Goldsmith, Tom
Fuel Their Creativity with these Crazy Cartoons!
These 75 cartoons will have you and your students laughing in the aisles as you practice creative writing skills.
Every cartoon has been professionally drawn specifically for your students' age and interests, so you will not have any difficulty setting students to task with this assignment! Gender and cultural balance have been built into the drawings as well, and an editing checklist is included.
Each story starter worksheet includes an illustration and blank word box, a blank line for the story's title, and numbered blank lines for the story itself. The word box provides space for students to brainstorm keywords that come to mind when they explore their overall impression of the illustration. Students should complete the brainstorm list before writing to stimulate their creative thinking. The blank lines are numbered so that you may easily give students instructions on how long their creative writing piece should be.
Cartoon Story Starters provide a collection of images of varying complexity so students with a wide range of critical thinking and writing abilities may engage meaningfully in their writing.
Implement these ready-to-use worksheets into your current writing program and generate ideas for short stories, poetry, letter writing and much more!
This resource is divided into five sections based on the primary theme of the illustrations:
- General Fiction
Through the meaningful context of creative writing, students will:
- Interpret a variety of illustrations, using evidence from the images and their own knowledge and experience
- Develop ability in creative, independent thinking, and ordering of ideas in a logical sequence
- Communicate their ideas clearly and effectively
- Communicate their ideas for specific purposes and to specific audiences
- Apply previously learned basic skills of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and conventions of style and form
- Practice proofreading and editing skills