Communities in Canada: Past and Present Grade 6 Ontario Social Studies Curriculum
This resource has been developed to cover the overall expectations of the Ontario Ministry of Education Social Studies Heritage & Identity: Communities in Canada, Past & Present curriculum.
This unit can be used as a whole to fulfill the overall expectation requirements or it can be used by activity to compliment other resources and activities.
Goals of this resource:
- To identify and asses contributions to Canadian identity made by various groups and by various features of Canadian communities and regions
- To use the social studies inquiry process to investigate different perspectives of the historical and/or contemporary experience of two or more distinct communities in Canada
- To promote an understanding of significant experiences of, and major changes and aspects of life in various historical and contemporary communities in Canada
Includes 12 activities, 5 extension activities, teacher guide and assessments.
- Activity #1 Vocabulary
- Activity #2 Canadian Scavenger Hunt
- Activity #3 Who Is Canadian?
- Activity #4 A Canadian Jig Saw Puzzle
- Activity #5 One Nation, Many Perspectives
- Activity #6 Graphing Us!
- Activity #7 All Aboard - Push/Pull Factors
- Activity #8 Common Ground
- Activity #9 A Timeline to Canada Today
- Activity #10 Compare and Contrast Diary Entries
- Activity #11 Personal Interview and Presentation
- Activity #12 Me in Canada Now! - A Time Capsule
- Extension Activity A Canadian Bulletin Board
- Extension Activity I Nominate / Debate
- Extension Activity Canadian Inclusiveness at Your School
- Extension Activity Symbols of Canada
- Extension Activity Story Starters