Earth's Crust Grades 6-8
- Author : Urie, Pat
Help students gain an understanding of the composition of the earth's crust, it's formations and physical features.
Through these activities, they will describe the changes that result from internal and external processes, investigate the formation of the physical features, and identify the factors that must be considered in making informed decisions about land use and explain their importance.
Skill lists, teacher suggestions, resource lists, and evaluation sheets are included, plus activities in science, language arts, social studies, and art. Includes 20+ worksheets & information cards, 15+ research topics, and 4 review tests. 96 pages.
This resource is divided into nine components. Each component may be used alone or sequentially. At the beginning of each component is a brief overview of the component, a list of resources and answer keys.
- What is Geology? - an introduction to the science of geology and the job of the geologist
- Inside the Earth - the composition of the layers of earth, composition, lithosphere, asthenosphere
- Earth Tectonics - the theories of plate tectonics and continental drift, identifying the major tectonic plates, the Mid-Atlantic Ridge
- Making Mountains - the processes involved in the formation of fold, dome, block-fault and volcanic mountains
- Earthquakes - earthquakes: where they occur and why, the Ring of Fire, measurement of, seismology, effects of quakes
- Volcanoes - the process involved in the formation of volcanoes, different types of volcanoes, hot spots, geysers, the Ring of Fire
- Rocks and Minerals - the three major types of rocks, identifying minerals, the rock cycle
- Fossils - the formation of fossils, their importance to the earth sciences, the major geological eras of the earth
- Soil - how soil is formed, the composition and characteristics of soil
At the end of this book are four quizzes which cover the material contained in every two components. Quiz number four includes the last three components. This book was designed to provide background information to accompany a study of the earth's crust. Ideally, it should be supplemented with simple experiments and a good deal a research by the students. Research topics can be found at the end of the book.
This book supports many of the fundamental concepts and learning outcomes from the curriculum for these provinces: British Columbia, Grade 7, Science, Earth & Space Science, Earth's Crust; Manitoba, Grade 7, Science, Cluster 4, Earth's Crust; Saskatchewan, Grade 7 Science, Earth & Space Science, Earth's Crust & Resources.
You may also like:
Canadian Daily Language Activities
Canadian Math Google Slide Activities
Science Google Slide Activities
Subscribe to our Fan List!: Our FANlist newsletter is full of tips on ways to save time with our resources, exclusive sales, new product info and free monthly downloads – you won’t want to miss out!
Follow us on: