Matter and Materials Lessons and Experiments Grades 1-3
- Author : Wearing, Judith/Deslauriers, I
What is the world made of? Through hands-on activities and experiments, students will enjoy exploring the world around them as they practice science skills like observing and concluding.
Games like "Simon Says" bring the realm of atoms and particles to life, as well as demonstrating solids, liquids, and gases. Your classroom will buzz with curiosity as students learn to explain the magic of ice sculptures, gas-powered rockets, and invention.
Each section contains visual, kinesthetic, and auditory activities. Each section ends
with an activity that may easily be used to assess learning of the material.
A vocabulary exercise is also included to ensure that terminology becomes
familiar and understood. Students are encouraged to keep a glossary of terms
that they do not understand or find particularly interesting. 96 pages
Lesson and Experiment Topics Include:
- Objects Have Parts
- Properties of Matter and Materials
- Solids, Liquids, and Gases
- Working with Matter
- Matter Quiz
This book supports many of the fundamental concepts and learning outcomes from the curriculum for these provinces:
- Alberta, Grade 2, Science, Exploring Liquids;
- British Columbia, Grade 2, Science, Physical Science, Properties of Matter;
- Manitoba, Grade 1, Science, Cluster 3, Characteristics of Objects & Materials, Grade 2 Science, Cluster 2, Properties of Solids, Liquids & Gases;
- Saskatchewan, Grade 1, Science, Physical Science, Using Objects & Materials, Grade 2, Science, Physical Science, Liquids & Solids, Grade 3, Science Physical Science, Structures & Materials.