Butterflies and Moths Grades 3-4 - The similarities and differences activities and worksheets
- Author : Solski, Ruth
Over 40+ activities encourage students to learn the similarities and differences between moths and butterflies. Students will find out the strange facts about their colors, sizes, shapes, and habits. Use these activities to help you teach and review your students skills in the areas of science, reading, vocabulary, phonics, research, and language.
A teacher guide and answer key complete this resource.
The learning objectives will:
- Introduce students to the insect world by studying the habits and life styles of two species of insects.
- Teach students how to identify the body parts of a butterfly, a moth and a caterpillar and their functions.
- Inform students of the four stages of development of butterflies, moths and caterpillars.
- Develop the awareness of the importance of butterflies and moths in our environment.
- Compare the characteristics of moths and butterflies noting their similarities and differences.
- Recognition of harm and damage caused by insects
- Development of reading and language skills with materials related to a topic
Resources for the teacher:
- Teacher Assessment Rubric
- Student Self-Assessment Rubric
- Teacher Notes: Introduction, Teaching Suggestions
- Teacher Information on Moths and Butterflies
- Vocabulary List for Moths and Butterflies
- Poetry for Moths and Butterflies
- Reproducible Student Booklet on Moths and Butterflies
Reading Stories and Activities:
- A Famous Silk Maker
- How Silkworms Were Discovered
- From Silkworm to Moth
- The First Butterflies
- Butterfly Poetry
- Interesting Moth Facts
- Interesting Butterfly Facts
- The Science Shelf’s Surprise Visitor
- Is It a Moth or Butterfly?
- Moth and Butterfly Sounds - Initial Consonants “Bb” and “Mm”
- Moth and Butterfly Sounds - Final “th” Digraph
- Moth and Butterfly Sounds - Double Consonants
- Moth and Butterfly Sounds - Short “u” Vowel Sound
- Moth and Butterfly Sounds - Short “o” Vowel Sound
- Moth and Butterfly Sounds - Double Vowel Combination “oo”
- Moth and Butterfly Compound Words
- Moth and Butterfly Classification
- Moth and Butterfly Riddles
- Moth and Butterfly Syllables
- Moth and Butterfly Verbs
- Moth and Butterfly Spelling
- Moth and Butterfly Double Letters
- Moth and Butterfly Crossword Puzzle
- Moth and Butterfly Word Search
- All About Caterpillars
- Writing a Moth Legend
- Let’s Write a Butterfly Legend
- Let’s Pretend!
- Writing a Descriptive Story
Research Information Sheets for
- Cecropia Moth
- The Luna Moth
- Isabella Tiger Moth
- The Tomato Sphinx Moth
- The Hummingbird Clearwing Moth
- The Monarch Butterfly
- The Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
- Viceroy Butterfly
- The Painted Lady Butterfly
- The Mourning Cloak Butterfly
- Research Chart
- Researching a Moth
- Researching a Butterfly