Animal Stories Story Starters Grades 1-3
- Author : Murtha, Veneda
Here are 13 engaging and detailed illustrations that will inspire students' creative writing. The images vary in complexity so that students with a wide range of critical thinking and writing abilities may engage meaningfully with them.
These ready-to-use worksheets are ideal for both at-home and in-class use. They can be used to augment any writing program or may be used as a meaningful filler activity when students have spare time. The illustrations may be used to generate ideas for short stories, poetry, letter writing, and much more! 13 pages
Each story starter worksheet includes an illustration and corresponding word list, a blank line for the story's title, and numbered blank lines for the story itself. The word list includes keywords related to the illustration to help the students begin to think about their overall impression of the image. The blank lines are numbered so that you may easily give students instructions on how long their creative writing piece should be.
Through the meaningful context of creative writing, students will:
1. Express their responses to a variety of illustrations, using evidence from the images and their own knowledge and experience
2. Develop ability in creative, independent thinking, and ordering of ideas in a logical sequence
3. Communicate their ideas clearly and effectively
4. Communicate their ideas for specific purposes and to specific audiences
5. Apply previously learned basic skills of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and conventions of style and form
6. Practice proofreading and editing skills