Sentence Writing - Canadian Writing Series Gr. 1-3
10+ lessons help you teach the different types of sentences and an overview of the 6-Trait Writing Process. Plus lessons on nouns, proper nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, preposition, conjunctions and interjections. A look at verb tenses, past-tense, present-tense and future-tense are also practiced. 85 pages
In this book you will find how to introduce, explain and practise
- Declarative Sentences
- Interrogative Sentences: Yes/No, Alternative, WH-Questions, Tag Questions
- Exclamatory Sentences
- Imperative Sentences
- Compound Sentences
- Practise Worksheets
- Answering Questions
- A look at parts of speech: nouns, proper nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.
- Word List/Book for each student with word lists for nouns, proper nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, interjections, conjunctions.
- A look at verb tenses; past-tense, present-tense and future-tense.
- Tips on creating a Writing Centre.
In this book you will find:
- An overview of the Trait-Based Writing.
- Writing Task Rubrics for both teacher and student use based on the Trait-Based Writing.
- A teacher/peer and student writing checklist to work on between the draft and good copy.
- An explanation to give students on the different categories of sentences.
- Writing sentence activities, at least two pages per kind and most have a box where children can connect their knowledge with a picture that they draw.
- Different worksheets to have students practise each sentence.
- Because sentences are made up of a group of words, it is important for the students/the writer to understand the function of each word. Included in this book, you will find a page for each part of speech.
- A lesson plan for each of the six writing styles with questions to ask students and a model of what should be: nouns, proper nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions and interjections. It is suggested that each sheet be photocopied and given to each student. Students then can continue their list with words that have meaning to them. Words with meanings and connections will be used more often than those without.
- This book is fully reproducible. It is recommended to make photocopies of the Parts of Speech as a personal dictionary.
- The Sentence Creator cards can be photocopied and lamination is recommended for durability. Each child can then have access to the Sentence Creator during Writing Workshop or as an extra individual activity.